Friday, September 3, 2010

Okay, I Lied. Get Over It! Today We're Talking About How to Blog!

Gentle reader, you will recall that last time I told you that I was going to talk about Google Places.

And I will. I will.

But Google Places is both very, very important, and very, very simple. You will master it quickly when I tell you about it.

On the other hand, blogging is also very, very important, but not quite so simple.

Now, take it as a given that you're going to blog. You can do it badly. I certainly did, for my first month or two.

But any blog is better than no blog at all!

After all, at a very minimum, a blog is a free website that you get to edit and modify to your heart's content, any time you want! in fact, it's a series of free websites! As many as you want to create!!!! Waa-hooooo!

Your blog also makes it much less likely that you'll waste your time with people who won't buy from you because they don't like you. They'll be repelled by your blog, so they will never waste your time again!

And it'll make it much easier for people to find you for your next high school reunion!

Finally (for now), it will make it much easier for you to build a new business after a bankruptcy, or to fluff up your current business so you don't need to file a bankruptcy!

But how to start?

Well, a real expert on the subject of internet marketing for small business is my friend Alex Morris, of Findlaw. He normally teaches this stuff to lawyers, and he taught me, and I'm pretty hard to miss if you want to know about bankruptcy law in Arizona right now.

My blog is usually on page one of Google for the search term "bankruptcy blog", and it tends to be on page one, line one, of Google for the search term "Arizona Bankruptcy Blog".

Now, nobody every searches for those terms, but those are two of the search terms I use as markers to see how I'm doing in the competition for eyes on the web, and so far I seem to be doing pretty well.

And Alex gave me permission to direct you to his blog, to an article in which he tells you how to blog.

And here's the beginning of that article:

Getting Started with BLOGGER - Google's Free BLOG Product

How to Setup a Google BLOG for your Law Firm

Blogging is definitely catching on in the AZ legal community. Earlier this year I wrote an article for Attorney at Law Magazine titled "Should an Attorney or Law Firm BLOG" in which I laid out a rationale for Blogging and recommended that you may want to start with the free and easy to use BLOGGER BLOG platform. BLOGGER is a Google product and is stupidly easy to use even for the techno neophyte. In fact you can be Blogging in less than 10 minutes. Here is how to do it.

1. Go to any Google BLOG like this one http://www.azlawyermarketing.com/ and click on the 'Create BLOG' button on the upper right of the page.

2. This will take you to a screen that asks you to either sign into your Google/gmail account or create one. Signing up is a simple process - but make sure you save your password.

3. Once your done with that it will ask for a BLOG title. This is important because this will be the first thing people see when they get to your BLOG. Mine is Alex Morris: Arizona Attorney Marketing Consultant in Scottsdale and Phoenix. Make sure that you utilize practice and geographic keywords in your title as it will also serve as the Title Tag of your BLOG. - an important consideration for search engine optimization.

4. Pick a URL. For this you may want to reference my article on choosing a domain name. The difference here is that I recommend that you use the word "BLOG' in your title. *Its important to note that when you first sign up the URL will have .blogspot.com on the end. For $10 dollars a year you can and should change this to a custom URL of your choosing. Therefore, since you will be changing the URL anyways - don't spend much time here, racking your brain for the perfect URL address.

to see the rest of the article, click here!

p.s. note that there is a raging religious war between bloggers like Alex, who use Blogger, and others, who use WordPress for their blogs. I'll give equal time to the Protestants in another article!

No comments:

Post a Comment